Advantage Media Group has an exciting opportunity for a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) with expertise and experience in corporate accounting and finance in an entrepreneurial environment. The CFO is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and responsible for establishing financial guidelines, procedures, internal controls and reporting systems. The CFO ensures any legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions. The CFO oversees day to day finance operations, including managing/reviewing general accounting, accounts receivable/accounts payable and payroll. The CFO would manage and lead the organization’s financial success, and all business units within Advantage as well as other corporate entities in the Advantage family, including: Advantage Media Group | ForbesBooks, Business Ghost, Oxford Center, No B.S. Inner Circle, and News & Experts.
The mission of the CFO is to build a world class finance team to assist the company in seamlessly executing its growth plan for 3x revenue growth over the next 3.5 years. The CFO must be a strategic planner and effective evaluator of people, technology, and systems critical to the success of the organization. The CFO must be a respected senior leader of the organization, reinforcing core purpose, core values, principles and practices of Working Together.
The ideal CFO is a reliable professional with broad knowledge to all accounting, financial and business principles. They are a fluent strategic planner and long-term forecaster with a bias for action. They must be a “coach” of both direct reports and “culture champion” for all Team Members. The CFO will oversee the shared services of technology and legal companywide. To drive growth through acquisition, the CFO will be a leader of due diligence and financial integration of any new business lines.
The outcomes expected of this individual are:
- Grow and maintain a world class finance team that helps us seamlessly grow to 1000+ active Members per year and companywide revenue of $100M by December 31, 2021. Provide world-class service through all interaction with Members, Team Members, and Vendors.
- Oversee accurate accounting, monitoring, and compliance of all financial functions of Advantage family of companies. Ensure all financial statements accurately represent reality of the business. Facilitate annual audit with outside accounting partners.
- Serve as senior budget and procurement officer companywide. Constant awareness of company’s financial position and regularly communicate with Senior Leadership. Manage budget and control expenses effectively, work closely with business unit and function heads. Oversee procurement operations.
- Build a finance team composed of 90% or more A Players. Recruit, hire, train, coach, develop, and nurture. Stringently measure and hold your people accountable. Ensure consistent use of the Topgrading method for hiring each position. Remove poor performers quickly.
- Contribute to the senior leadership team executive meetings, strategy and planning sessions. Responsible for finance and legal analysis, forecasting and resource planning. Ensure compliance with federal, state and local legal requirements by researching existing and new legislation, consulting with outside advisors. Advise Senior Leadership of actions and potential risks. Is a senior external representative for the company and a role model for internal team members
Competencies (These are MUSTs):
- Ability to hire A Players - Sources, selects, and sells “A-Players” to join the company.
- Ability to develop people - Coaches people in their current role to improve performance, and prepares them for future roles.
- Analytical skills - Able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it. Exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights.
- Calm under pressure - Maintains stable performance when under heavy pressure or stress.
- Executive Presence - Articulate communicator (both written and verbal), polished and impressive in front of an audience of co-workers, clients, or prospects.
- Organization & Planning - Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- Must have a PASSION for finance and utilizing financial data to make smarter business decisions.
- Proven experience as a Chief Financial Officer or similar role in a high growth organization.
- Master’s degree in accounting, finance or related field or equivalent work experience.
- CPA or other relevant qualification is a plus.
- Ten (10) or more years of experience in managing an accounting function in a medium or large company with a strong entrepreneurial spirit.
Advantage is an entrepreneurial, high growth company with opportunity for advancement and lots of upward mobility. Professional development programs offered. We offer great Vacation/PTO benefits, a great Medical/Dental program, 401(k) program with company contribution and other nice perks. We highly value and respect our Team Members. Team Members are eligible for benefits package after a 3-month review.
Position is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and is in our Charleston, SC headquarters office. Position reports directly to CEO with a dotted line to COO.